Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On 6/30/20 8:07 AM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>>> I think there are many people still install OS in the legacy mode, but
>>> I don't really have numbers.

I've just started working with Fedora 32 ~ a week ago.  Looking at it as a migration option, for imo a lot of _good_ reasons, from current deployed OS/distro for lots of boxes.

one end-user data point for consideration:

currently, out of ~1K linux boxes in my ecosystem -- a mix of desktop, developer, int & ext production & devel servers -- ~40% are still BIOS only, with no EFI support; others have EFI support in BIOS, but are currently installed in legacy mode.

all are running distro up-to-date kernels, with a majority running Kernel:Stable.  desktop ENVs are up to date with latest KDE, GNOME & XFCE.

those 'legacy' boxes are perfectly serviceable/functional, and will remain in service, regularly maintained, for possibly years to come.

mv'ing Fedora to EFI-only anytime soon takes it out of consideration, here anyway.

perhaps I'm missing the details, or point, of this.