Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make btrfs the default file system for desktop variants

Hi,

On 29/06/2020 19:54, Igor Raits wrote:

On Mon, 2020-06-29 at 12:26 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 09:59:52AM -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
We cannot include ZFS in Fedora for legal reasons. Additionally,
ZFS is not
really intended for the laptop use case.
Has that actually been explored? How does Canonical get around the
legal
issues with OpenZFS' licensing?
I can't really speculate on Canonical's legal stance and I encourage
everyone else to also not.

I can point to Red Hat's, though: the knowledge base article here
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/79633 says:

* ZFS is not included in the upstream Linux kernel due to licensing
reasons.

* Red Hat applies the upstream first policy for kernel modules
(including
   filesystems). Without upstream presence, kernel modules like ZFS
cannot be
   supported by Red Hat.
This is not fully true to my knowledge. Red Hat ships VDO and that is
not even sent to upstream (yet?).

It has taken a bit longer than perhaps expected. However the intention is very much that it will go upstream,

Steve.