Re: Disable dmraid.service on first run if no dmraid sets are found - Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal

On Monday, June 29, 2020 1:57:55 PM MST Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 3:45 pm, Michael Catanzaro
> <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > We might need to explicitly disable systemd-udev-settle.service
> > during the system upgrade to turn it off?
>

> Doesn't work... I tried 'systemctl disable systemd-udev-settle.service'
> and rebooted again, and it's still running. I tried 'systemd-analyze
> plot' and I see it takes 11 seconds during boot! I think the culprit is
> dmraid-activation.service (not dmraid.service). Did you get the name of
> the service wrong in the change proposal, or have I misunderstood?
>
> Unrelated: looking at my systemd-analyze plot, other startup time
> offenders are NetworkManager-wait-online.service (9.5 seconds, seems
> egregious, I wonder why this is necessary?) and grand prize winner
> abrtd.service (requiring an amazing 30 seconds!)

Well, disabling it on upgrade might be fine, so long as you check that it's
not actually in use. Please keep in mind that dmraid is required for, for
example, Intel firmware RAID, and so simply disabling this would mean that
users' workstations or servers using firmware RAID wouldn't be able to boot..

--
John M. Harris, Jr.