Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make btrfs the default file system for desktop variants

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 12:39 AM Gabriel Ramirez <gabrielo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/27/20 11:09 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> >> That seems a step back,
> > Yes. You do gain self-healing and unambiguous scrubs, which apply only
> > to the used portion of the drives. Three steps forward half step back?
> > The priority would be to replace the failing/failed drive before a
> > reboot. Yes, the use case where the drive dies on startup and
> > unattended boot is needed is weaker.
>
> yeah, but coming from mdadm, I (will be)/(was) expecting the same or
> better from a new filesystem, or documentation to resolve the situation
> "shutdown, replace the disk, boot with another media etc..."
>
> because when the problem happens, googling sometimes fails too

Some distros have /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/64-btrfs.rules and others don't.

The behavior now, with that rule, udev waits for all btrfs devices to
be present. And I think it's an indefinite wait. Is it a bug in the
rule or is it a feature request? I don't know. But, I think at the
least we'd want a timer to get to a dracut shell eventually.

At that shell, you can e.g.
mount -o degraded /dev/vda1 /sysroot
exit

And the startup will proceed normally the rest of the way and you can
do a device replacement.

A better udev rule might be one that waits for all devices, and then
if there are still missing devices at say 90s is able to add
'degraded' to the initial mount attempt. That might mostly fix this.
But I don't know if sd-udev can conditionally add (insert) mount
options or if it could learn to do so. There is still some very small
window of risk for a "split brain" type problem - if different devices
get mount degraded on subsequent boots - but fixing/hardening against
that requires kernel work.

> at least one shutdown, start is needed (I have to open the computer
> case, replace the hard disk)

Yep, if you can't hotswap you do need one.

> another reboot if after partition the drive the kernel complains about
> "the current partition will be used until reboot"

This shouldn't be necessary. The drive is not in use, so it's possible
to apply the partition map, and the kernel should just update. If not
then partprobe should do it. (Otherwise we'd have to reboot to do
software installs, but we don't.) The limitation you're talking about
is when repartitioning a drive that is in use already - and the old
partition map is basically pinned in memory. And yes it's annoying.

--
Chris Murphy