Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make btrfs the default file system for desktop variants

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 3:21:17 AM MST Antti  wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm in total opposition to this proposal as a long-time Fedora user. The
> btrfs is unstable and not ready for production. Most of what I'm about to
> write is admittedly anecdotal but it's the only file system in Linux which
> has actively and regularly caused me to lose data on desktops, laptops,
> servers and even on mobile phones when I haven't taken precautions and done
> regular backups. Something I don't have to actively do when using ext4 in
> my workstations and notebooks.

> This has happened to me because OpenSUSE and Jolla's Sailfish OS use btrfs
> as their default file system. I've tried using btrfs from time to time in
> various environments to see how it's progressing. However there hasn't been
> fixes for long-standing issues in btrfs when it comes to desktops and
> laptops in years. Btrfs can still for example run out of its automatically
> manager "metadata space" which it cannot recover from. Even the relatively
> recent improvement in kernel 5.8 have already been proven to not improve
> the situation much although at least the subvolume deletion failing over
> lack of disk space is now handled slightly better.

> You could probably just ask the issue statistics from OpenSUSE and SUSE to
> see how unreliable btrfs is in reality. I hypothesise that a large majority
> of OpenSUSE users don't actually use the supposed default file system of
> their the distro and instead opt to use zfs, xfs and ext4.

> I'm honestly in shock that this is even a discussion right now again. If
> there is a legitimate urgent need to switch the default file system for
> desktop and laptop users (and I understand why there is pressure to do so
> since ext4 has a number of shortcomings), then whatever legal obstacles
> there are blocking the use of zfs should be cleared and zfs should be used
> instead. Canonical with their Ubuntu is already trying to do this through
> use of OpenZFS. The xfs has started to have issues as of late but even it
> would be a legitimate choice.

> The absolute first issue with btrfs in desktops and laptops is that it
> requires active conscious maintenance from the end-users to avoid large
> number of potentially disastrous situations as well as unconscious regular
> automatic constant maintenance on background which consume the disks and
> eat resources. Based on my experiences btrfs works best when you don't use
> the features you supposedly install it for. It's snapshots are a great
> example of that. Which is why I suspect that most btrfs "success stories"
> are ones where the users don't take advantage of the btrfs' features or
> have actively turned them off conscious of issues they bring up later on.
> Using btrfs doesn't make using PC easier and instead does the opposite by
> adding more work. Meanwhile zfs has reliable and working snapshots feature
> which is in actual use.

> With btrfs the following is a very common situation: It's not too uncommon
> [...]

Another way to consider this would be that we can stop arguing against these
changes, let the GNOME folks run the ship aground, and hope that the user
backlash will act as a wakeup call when it comes to these changes. I agree
that btrfs is far too unstable to be made a default, and I also agree that ZFS
would be a much better option. However, there is always going to be pushback
on ZFS. If you want the best, there's a price to pay, and that's licensing
headaches in this case.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what we say. All of the arguments in this
thread are likely to be ignored by FESCo, as they have in other recent change
"proposals" (more like change announcements, in this case). So, perhaps we
should just watch this fail, and use that failure to push a sane default in
the next release.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.