User experience issue on btrfs

(fixing the subject line to not mention nano)

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 5:16 am, alexandrebfarias@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Don't expect much love on this, since my opinion has been downvoted on reddit by many of those who don't want to hear bad news about btrfs. And no, I don't have any benchmarks and did not collect any logs, I'm not talking about a bug, BTRFS is defective beyond anything Fedora could do to fix it. After spending so much time fighting against my system

Well the btrfs change proposal exists to improve the user experience. User experience is the overriding goal behind everything we do. I've just finished wading through the rest of the btrfs discussion, finding most concerns about the filesystem not very compelling... but your experience with btrfs is concerning to me. It seems you suffered from a serious I/O performance issue. Since one of the goals of this proposal is to *improve* system responsiveness under heavy load, it should go without saying that we don't want to introduce noticeable performance issues. I wonder if the change owners have any idea what might have gone wrong for Alexandre? Is this something we could attempt to reproduce and measure (if Alexandre is willing to do some further testing to put numbers on the problem)?

Alexandre, if you could provide an estimate of approximately when this happened (approximate kernel version)...?