Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make btrfs the default file system for desktop variants

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 8:58 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm strongly against this proposal. BTRFS is the most unstable file
> system I ever seen. It can break up even under an ideal conditions and
> lead to a complete data loss. There are lots of complaints and bug
> reports in Linux kernel bugzilla and Reddit.

I've got a Samsung 840 EVO that I know has firmware bugs. Is that an
ideal condition? What about compiling webkitgtk and losing control of
the system under load (unresponsive GUI while the compiling continues
to write)? Is it an ideal condition? And because I'm notoriously
impatient, I often yank the power cord. Ideal condition? And I've done
this over 100 times in the last year. Ideal condition?

100% of the subsequent cold boots, boot identical to that of a prior
clean shutdown. Zero btrfs complaints. One person, one laptop, one
SSD. I'm not a totally disqualified scientific sample but it's a
really insignificant anecdote, other than even at this scale if there
were intrinsic file system defects, I think I'd have seen it.

Question is, what happens when the firmware has a hiccup and I also
get a power fail. What am I likely to see, and what do I do? When
there are problems, we're used to a particular pattern with ext4. That
pattern will change with btrfs. There will be fewer of some problems,
more of others, and the messages will be different. fsck.ext4 is
pretty much all we have, all we're used to, and it's a binary
pass/fail. Even though we're talking about edge cases at this level,
those who get unlucky for whatever reason are going to need a
community of user to user support giving them good advice. Will
Fedora?

It's also important to talk about what's left on the table *without*
this change. The potential to almost transparently drop in a new file
system that extends the life of user's hardware, eliminates the free
space competition problem between /home and /, and allocates it more
efficiently.  And asks *less* of day to day users, while inviting
*more* from those who want to explore more features. On the same file
system.

The fear/concern component is real, it has to be addressed and not
dismissed. But that component is already present with what we have.
We're just used to it. Is there enough of a sense of adventure and
bravery in Fedora to overcome the fear component, and in exchange we
get a modern file system that actually helps us solve problems we're
having today right now? And offers features that beg for future
creativity and innovation?

I think the answer is yes, but the Fedora community is going to have to decide.

--
Chris Murphy