Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 03:37:59PM +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 26/06/20 13:11 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> >>We're using zram-generator-defaults for this.
> >>https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1527737
> >>
> >>Which is better? default or defaults? I don't have a preference.
> >
> >I went with "-defaults" in this case because the package provides "the
> >default configuration", i.e. "defaults".
> >
> >This doesn't translate exactly to the nano case, which is about making
> >the program the default "plugin" in another program (git).
>
> This is not really about Git, and it's certainly not a "plugin".

That's why I put the word in quotes. I think we all know what the
relationship between git and editor is in this case and I didn't want
to waste words to formulate this more precisely for no benefit.

> Obeying EDITOR is required by POSIX e.g. see
> https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/crontab.html#tag_20_25_08
>
> Note that POSIX says "The default editor shall be vi." But that means
> when EDITOR isn't set. If the system or a user sets EDITOR to
> something else, it's still POSIX-conforming.

Personally, I don't care so much about what POSIX says. But not to worry:
in this case $EDITOR *will* be set, so we're all POSIX-compliant ;)

Zbyszek