Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

Once upon a time, Zdenek Dohnal <zdohnal@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> I'm not sure if which other applications use the default editor, I know
> only git from those. So let's say I will talk about the editor which
> git-commit spawns during committing a change.

There are a variety of CLI tools that use $EDITOR (do any still use
$VISUAL? I still set that out of habit), and usually default to /bin/vi
in the absence of a setting.  On one desktop system, I see about 20
packages that appear like they might be referencing $EDITOR (just
grepping in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin).

I've been using vi/vim for almost 30 years, and have set $EDITOR and
$VISUAL for the whole time.  I honestly didn't realize $EDITOR wasn't
being defaulted to /bin/vi, and we just have programs with their own
arbitrary default.  So I'm definitely +1 to explicitly setting it.

I would go with /etc/profile.d snippets, because that's the most obvious
and historical place (for Red Hat-derived systems at least).
Alternately, the default PAM config loads pam_env, which will look in
/etc/security/pam_env.conf, /etc/environment, and ~/.pam_environment by
default.  There's possibly other things that could be moved here; if
this isn't a good use for it, I don't know what is (why are we loading
pam_env if we aren't going to use it?).

As for the default value of $EDITOR... I don't really care that much,
because I both already set it and already know vi.  But it is quite
obvious that vi is not very user-friendly for the casual/occasional CLI
user (someone following some online directions that include "edit this
config file" for example).  I'd say nano is a little better, as long as
you figure out that ^ is Ctrl.

At under 3MB installed, nano is relatively light-weight (although about
twice as big as vim-minimal :) ).  I would say we should keep
vim-minimal as part of the minimal install, as obviously there are
programs that use it as a default, and it is smaller.

As a system administrator and developer, I can change defaults myself.
These days, I have an Ansible playbook that I run to set up a system to
my preferred liking (used to just be a collection of shell scripts).  I
would assume that developers already set their own defaults for lots of
things, as no two developers can ever seem to agree 100% on how
everything should be done. :)

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>