Re: RHEL 9 and modularity

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 3:38 AM Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 06:51:36AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > Yes. Putting the "stream identification" into the package name is the
> > most natural solution, and has been floated various times.
>
> This already happens. But not in Fedora. In RHEL, modular packages have
> Modularitylabel RPM tag that carries the module name and stream.

The ModularityLabel RPM tag is also present in Fedora. However, it's
documented as *not* reliable for reverse lookups. It only lists the
NSVCA of the build it first occurred in, which may not be what you're
looking for if the package was unchanged and has been reused for
subsequent builds. (Though I *think* you can rely on the name and
stream being the same right now, since we don't yet have cross-module
component reuse in MBS, but that's coming.)