Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Use %make_build and %make_install macros

On 06/19/2020 03:37 PM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 19. 06. 20 23:11, Ben Cotton wrote:
>> All make invocations in spec files that don't use the install target will be modified to use the %make_build macro
>
> Many Python packages build Sphinx documentation with variant of "make html". Such invocation will always be just 1 job. Hence there is no benefit of parallel make. Replacing it with %make_build will only make it harder to read.
>
> Can we exclude such cases? Or do we want all make invocations to be mecronized, even if there is no benefit?

The reason I put in the proposal that all make invocations would be updated,
is because this is easier to script and it would be hard for someone who
doesn't know the package to make the call about which invocations don't
need to use parallel make.

However, this issue is also part of the reason I included a 1 week review period,
for each change.  I think it would be reasonable for a maintainer to
reject a change for something like `make html` if they felt it was making
the spec file worse with no benefit.

What if I updated the proposed documentation change to say that
%make_build must be used for 'code building targets', check, and install,
but is optional otherwise?

-Tom