Re: RHEL 9 and modularity

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:16 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I love how people hold up "containers" as a solution to these problems
> without considering for a moment how exactly the container itself gets
> built. If you were to look into the flatpak build system in Fedora,
> you'd see that they are using Modularity to construct them.

You're right, Flatpak is doing that.

Alternatively, my team and I build containers with multiple repos when
we want to choose versions of software.

"fedpkg container-build --repo-url" takes multiple .repo files. This
works well because it uses the standard behavior that we've relied on
in Yum and DNF for many years. The corner-cases around dependencies
and what-version-overrides-what are well understood across the
developer community. This same .repo method works well across RHEL 7,
RHEL 8, and beyond. The .repo files are extremely flexible and can
come from a variety of systems that are not MBS.

Contrast this with the way that OSBS and ODCS work. The current
implementation is misleading, and the reason I say this is because
several independent teams recently arrived at the same erroneous
conclusions around how developers are supposed to use modules with
OSBS and ODCS: https://github.com/containerbuildsystem/osbs-docs/pull/152

- Ken