Re: RHEL 9 and modularity

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 10:31 AM Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Personally, I have long wanted burst-to-cloud or the ability for
> > others to donate hosts to the Fedora build system without having to
> > physically ship hardware.  Koji is somewhat limited in that regard.
> > Maybe developing a shim layer and some security best practices to
> > allow that would help.
>
> I'm interested in this because I think it would make Koji more
> flexible, and there are some challenges. I think we would need a
> separate Koji daemon to watch the task queues on the hub and bring
> additional builders up or down as needed. Maybe an OpenShift operator
> could do this. Non-x86_64 arches are complicated as well, because not
> all cloud providers have s390x (for example). A service needs to
> inspect the Koji buildArch task parameters to determine what arches to
> bring up, and that's just for RPMs - we'd need code to do it for the
> VM image tasks, containers, etc.

I don't think burst-to-cloud means we only burst to a single cloud.
That seems like a great way to just lock into that cloud with no
flexibility.  Rather, I would look at it as a hybrid cloud opportunity
and use AWS, or the IBM cloud that offers s390x instances, or Packet
for ARM, etc.

> Do you have specific vendors lined up who would donate build hosts? In
> the Ceph project, we have something like what you're describing with
> libcloud and Jenkins. Our CI build hosts' costs were wildly expensive
> compared to our bare metal hosts, and the performance can be
> variable/worse. At a certain point, there is a constant baseline load
> in the buildsystem, and it makes sense to run as much of that on our
> own hosts as we can.

I have no vendors lined up.  I would simply like it to be an option.
Consider it a wish list idea and nothing more.  I'm fully aware of how
far that gets me in an open source community, so I expect nothing
because I'm not even scratching my own itch :)

josh