Re: RHEL 9 and modularity

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:30:58PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 9:26 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
...snip...
> > However, I am concerned that as ELN develops further, we are likely to
> > be even more starved for build resources than we have been previously.
> > Modules are huge build chains that essentially fill up the builders.

It's a concern, but IMHO not a major one.

ELN builds run at a higher priority than normal builds.

Module are currently the same prirority as normal builds, but we could
adjust them. Or adjust just the ELN ones.

There's a number of things we could do if it becomes a problem.

> > Outside of the improved AArch64 hardware, I'm personally unaware of
> > any improvements in our build capacity to help support the higher
> > demands for the build system. To note, we'd have this problem without

There are, and thanks for a place to note them:

The x86_64 buildvm's now in the new datacenter are on newer hardware
thats likely much faster than the old ones.

The new datacenter has a new netapp cluster (which we aren't sharing
with other workloads).

Mainframe admins adjusted things on the s390x z/vm builders to be faster
and indeed they seem much improved.

The new datacenter we have postgresql 12.2 for the koji database.

Our last mass rebuild finished in a few days. How much faster do we need
to be? ;)

> > modules if we had Koschei configured to auto-rebuild and submit
> > rebuilds on dependency drift so that packagers didn't have to do that
> > grunt work manually, so it's a matter of we literally do not have
> > enough resources to support more automation. I've mentioned this
> > before in other threads, but to reiterate: it is my belief that Fedora
> > does not have enough build capacity to support building a modularized
> > distribution. Even when we were doing modularized builds in the Fedora
> > Rust SIG, it was common for module build jobs to stall out waiting for
> > resources, and thus get stuck midway through. This also starved
> > regular builds of resources to get things done.
>
> My understanding is that this was discussed with Fedora
> infrastructure.  I have no insight into that further.  We probably

It was, and I don't think it's going to be that much of a problem.
I could of course be wrong (I have been before and will be again!)

> aren't going to get additional builders for ELN or Fedora in general
> anytime soon, so allocation of existing resources is probably
> something to consider.  I'll offer that there are actually more Fedora
> build hosts than there are RHEL 8 build hosts, by comparison.

Of course Fedora builds a ton more things than RHEL... but yeah.

> Personally, I have long wanted burst-to-cloud or the ability for
> others to donate hosts to the Fedora build system without having to
> physically ship hardware.  Koji is somewhat limited in that regard.
> Maybe developing a shim layer and some security best practices to
> allow that would help.

Yeah, there have been several projects to allow this to happen, and if
pressed for resources we could look into them again.

> > > Hopefully that provides some context and helps FESCo and the wider
> > > community understand where Red Hat is headed with modularity on the
> > > Enterprise side.
> > >

> > It absolutely does, and I hope you continue to engage with us on this!
> > Let's make everything better together!
>
> That's the idea :)

100% agreed. :)

kevin