Re: RHEL 9 and modularity

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 09:27, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 8:45 AM Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> However, I am concerned that as ELN develops further, we are likely to
> be even more starved for build resources than we have been previously.
> Modules are huge build chains that essentially fill up the builders.
> Outside of the improved AArch64 hardware, I'm personally unaware of
> any improvements in our build capacity to help support the higher
> demands for the build system. To note, we'd have this problem without
> modules if we had Koschei configured to auto-rebuild and submit
> rebuilds on dependency drift so that packagers didn't have to do that
> grunt work manually, so it's a matter of we literally do not have
> enough resources to support more automation. I've mentioned this
> before in other threads, but to reiterate: it is my belief that Fedora
> does not have enough build capacity to support building a modularized
> distribution. Even when we were doing modularized builds in the Fedora
> Rust SIG, it was common for module build jobs to stall out waiting for
> resources, and thus get stuck midway through. This also starved
> regular builds of resources to get things done.

One of the problems with having more build capacity is that the build
system will need checks to find where we have hidden O(n) or greater
code.  Adding more builders may not make various things faster, and I
am expecting we are going to see some slow downs from the current
'fast koji' people are seeing as we stand up more resources in the new
datacenter in the next couple of months. There is a lot of software
written for specific cases being used in general cases, and there is a
lot of software where it could only be written and tested for 1-4
boxes now being used for scale. There are also a bunch of software
tools which were organically added under time crunches with no review
to fix which work 'good enough' but aren't going to work 'better' if
we added more builders.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.