Re: zram as swap on EL?

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 14:05, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I didn't get any response from the EPEL list so forwarding here since the change was discussed here anyway...

The EPEL list really isn't for these sorts of OS level discussions..
most of the people on it are usually php/perl/python level tools. You
would be better asking on the CentOS Stream list(s?) as I think this
would be something that would show-up/fix/answered in EL-8.N+1 versus
EL-8.N

> ---
>
> So with the discussion about moving to zram for swap on Fedora I wondered if it was worth taking a look at for my CentOS 8 machine.
>
> I noticed that there was a build in Koji but it was deleted. Figuring there was a reason but as yet undeterred I checked out master and built an el8 rpm.
>
> Installed on my CentOS 8 machine and tried to start it up... Definitely broken somehow.
>
> Figured out that it didn't like the command that created the zram (zramctl). Turns out that (and this is a guess), that the kernel in CentOS doesn't support lz4 compression. In fact none of the compression options worked except "deflate". Not sure what the compression ratio is for it but I now have zram using it.
>
> Second problem is that the configuration options in /etc/zram.conf seemed to be ignored. Even though I specified a factor of 2 for the amount of ram to use, it kept using the default in the systemd script of 3. So I just changed the script and hardcoded it to 2048MB. Since I have no plans in changing the amount of memory in that computer it really doesn't matter.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Stephen J Smoogen.