Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CMake to do out-of-source builds

On Tue, 2020-06-16 at 03:47 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Neal Gompa wrote:
> > If they build a separate folder manually and are already using the
> > VPATH macros, then there's no change. If they're using a different
> > structure, we can adapt them to the standard VPATH macros, and do
> > other adjustments as needed.
>
> The common idiom in KDE packages is:
> mkdir %{_target_platform}
> pushd %{_target_platform}
> %{cmake_kf5} ..
> popd
>
> So:
> 1. Are you going to apply this change also to %{cmake_kf5} or just
> plain
>    %cmake?

I forgot that it does not use %cmake, so I think we should change it
too. In that case, we should also update change page.

> 2. If a construct like this is used, I guess we will end up with a
> VPATH
>    inside %{_target_platform}? So the -debugsource package will have
>    nested structure like Russian matrioshka puppets or Chinese boxes?

Example above will stop working, but we definitely do not want to have
build tree in x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu/.

> > Defaults matter. And upstreams complain about us not doing out of
> > tree
> > builds by default. Some projects even intentionally break in-source
> > builds and packagers shouldn't struggle to figure out how to do the
> > right thing in that circumstance.
>
> It is unfortunate that some upstreams (including parts of KDE) are
> doing
> this. This is a very pointless and unhelpful thing to do. I see no
> benefit
> from disallowing in-source builds, it is just a simple special case
> and
> normally requires no extra code to support.

With this change, everyone will be more happier. Essentially we will
always do out-of-source build that is recommended by upstreams and you
won't have to think whether you need to build in-source or out-of-
source because it will just work.

>         Kevin Kofler
- --
Igor Raits <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>