Re: Fedora Jam switch to GNOME

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 1:29 PM <erich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Kalev,
>
> On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 19:20 +0200, Kalev Lember wrote:
> > Hi Erich,
> >
> > I think this is a great idea -- thanks for getting the discussion
> > started!
> >
> > I've always found it weird that the Jam spin is based on another
> > desktop, different from what Fedora Workstation uses. I think it
> > makes a lot of sense to switch over and try to improve the audio
> > issues in GNOME. We have a lot of Fedora developers who are also
> > GNOME upstream developers and this should create nice synergies.
> >
> > As you may be aware, Wim Taymans has been working on pipewire that
> > Workstation ships with, with the goal of improving the audio and
> > video experience in Fedora Workstation and GNOME and Linux desktop in
> > general. The Jam spin switching to GNOME makes a lot of sense in this
> > context -- that way the Jam users can quickly give feedback on any
> > pipewire issues and feature requests, hopefully improving the overall
> > situation quickly.
> >
> > Good idea and +1 from me.
> >
> > --
> > Kalev
> >

> Thanks. That's exactly what has spurred this conversation. I've been
> having conversations in off-list threads about pipewire. I'm highly
> interesed in doing work on this, and I think perhaps this would be the
> best way to collaborate and get feedback from the overall community of
> musicians and audion enthusiasts.
>
> So, perhaps a conversation can be had to create a second kickstart for
> GNOME and keep the KDE kickstart?
>
> But, that's the goal: to get users to give feature requests and issues
> to pipewire. I am not sure that can be adequately accomplished in KDE
> Plasma.

I'd be concerned about the viability of PipeWire if we don't have work
going upstream in KDE to leverage it, though. The majority of creative
software is Qt5/KF5 based, and not having PipeWire support first class
in that ecosystem would be massively damaging to the quality of the
offering. That's less about GNOME vs KDE and more about PipeWire still
needing work to be broadly adopted.