Re: Fedora Jam switch to GNOME

Hi Neal,

On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 12:44 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 12:10 PM <erich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm considering moving Fedora Jam from KDE Plasma to GNOME. There
> > are
> > multiple reasons for this, and I think part of it would be
> > beneficial
> > to the overall GNOME and Fedora communities as it would be a way to
> > be
> > helping improve the situation in GNOME that exist as the biggest
> > objections from the community of musicians and Linux audio
> > enthusiasts
> > in the overall community.
> >
> > The biggest objections are resource usage, since the more resources
> > that are in use, the more it tends to interfere with real-time
> > audio
> > processes, causing buffer overruns and/or underruns. These overruns
> > and
> > underruns are known as Xruns. The fewer Xruns, the better, as Xruns
> > cause pops during recording. When doing real-time audio work, you
> > want
> > to have as low of latency as possible which requires as small of a
> > buffer as possible. The goal is to have a small buffer to get
> > minimal
> > latency while avoiding Xruns.
> >
> > Unfortunately, GNOME has, since 3.0, traditionally interfered with
> > these processes and caused Xruns. My goal, by moving Fedora Jam
> > from
> > Plasma to GNOME, is to help GNOME improve this situation.
> >

> I would personally be very sad if Fedora Jam switched from KDE to
> GNOME. To me, KDE has always been the home for creatives, and it
> shows
> with the excellent Qt/KDE based software for auditory and visual
> creativity. From my perspective, KDE is the environment that creative
> people can feel at home in.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thank you!

> > The other reason for switching away from Plasma is the overall
> > negative
> > attitude I see from Fedora KDE users and former Fedora KDE
> > contributors. It seems to be an attitude against the progress of
> > improving the Linux desktop for the better, and simply complaining.
> > know some of this attitude comes from Red Hat dropping KDE from
> > being a
> > desktop in REHL, among other changes. That attitude is regressive,
> > and
> > does nothing to help the community if all you do is complain. I
> > could
> > name names, but for the sake of the "Friends" foundation, I will
> > not.
> >

> As a Fedora KDE user, I hope I'm not lumped in that bucket. :)
>
> While I am *deeply* disappointed at Red Hat for removing KDE from
> RHEL, that is mostly because people seem to think KDE is no good
> because Red Hat dropped it rather than it being due to lack of
> engineers to support it.
>
> However, one thing I have been very disappointed about is the
> attitude
> of some folks who are not actively involved or contributing to Fedora
> KDE disparaging virtually everyone else and the work they do. In
> general, it's very much against our tenants, our expectation of being
> excellent to each other, and our philosophy as a community.
>
> As a member of many major groups in Fedora, including the KDE SIG, I
> do not personally tolerate such disparagement. If there is a
> technical
> foundation for disagreement, then there's something to discuss, but
> personally attacking people is never okay. If I have the ability to
> do
> something about it, I will.

Always good to read you. :)

You are definitely not in that bucket. I see your contributions as
nothing but productive and constructive.

> > Anyhow, I'd love to see a discussion about this as well as any
> > guidance
> > toward making this change. I know there would have to be a new
> > kickstart along with Koji pointing toward said kickstart. I could
> > make
> > the kickstart, but I think I'd need Koji to look for it.
> >

> The mechanics of making such a change are fairly straightforward:
> change the fedora-jam KS to switch from the KDE base to the GNOME
> base
> in the fedora-kickstarts repository:
> https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/blob/master/f/fedora-live-jam_kde.ks
>
> You'll need to re-rationalize your customizations on top of that, but
> it's doable.

The kickstart is definitely what I would be working in, and the
customizations in there are pretty minimal as you can see.

That said, this whole thing isn't set-in-stone, I just wanted to probe
the community to see what people thought. :)

-Erich