Re: swap-on-ZRAM by default

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 5:43 PM Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/9/20 6:49 AM, Dridi Boukelmoune wrote:
> >> Well, that's really the point. The one you're using is one of the (4? 5?)
> >> other zram implementations. It seems a bit more straightforward than the
> >> systemd one for sure.
> >
> > The zram-generator is probably more straightforward (with literally
> > less layers of indirection) than what the zram package provides. I
> > would assume that a generator is also the more idiomatic (and
> > efficient) solution as far as systemd is concerned and I wouldn't mind
> > migrating to that if it looked feature-complete and had decent
> > documentation. There is no manual page[1], only a slightly confusing
> > README that hints at simplicity and incompleteness.
>
> There's also an example conf file included that has a lot of explanation
> in it.

I'm aware, but the explanation doesn't tell me anything I couldn't
infer from the README.

Regardless, it doesn't come close to what generators shipped with
systemd provide in terms of documentation. Open the man page
systemd.generator and jump to the SEE ALSO section at the end. You
should see reference to several generator manuals, the first one is
systemd-cryptsetup-generator(8).

Opening the systemd-cryptsetup-generator(8) manual and the
systemd-cryptsetup@.service(8) manual mentioned in the DESCRIPTION
section, I'm looking at a different level of documentation.

Again, I'm well aware thanks to the README and past threads on this
list that this was initially a rust experiment, apparently successful,
and if anything I'd be happy to see it go that extra mile and squash
important items from the TODO file, and add decent documentation.

Dridi