Re: 500 packages FTBFS in rawhide with java-11-openjdk as system JDK

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 4:52 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 4:05 PM Jiri Vanek <jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Please see
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Java11#common_issues_packagers_can_face_and_gathered_solutions
> > Please fix your packages according to
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Java11#copr_preliminary_rebuild
> > Inidivdual packagers are being emailed with details
>
> I've asked mizdebsk whether he thinks we can switch to using
> xmvn-javadoc, which solves the majority of those build failures (over
> half, by my count).
> I also sent this proposal to the devel and java-devel mailing lists,
> and there was no opposition to the change.
>
> For other failures, I've begun to track "EasyFix" solutions (mostly,
> overriding -source 1.8 and -target 1.8, as suggested in the Change
> proposal), and I've started to either push this change directly (for
> packages I am associated with), or filing Pull Requests for them:
> https://pagure.io/java-maint-sig/issue/1
>
> However, I am only one man, with only so much time, so without help,
> this "applying EasyFixes" will still take a while.
>
> With both changes (switching from maven-javadoc-plugin to
> xmvn-javadoc, and applying the -source / -target 1.8 EasyFixes), the
> number of build failures should be lower than 100, not over 500.
> That's still a big number of broken packages, but it's *much* more manageable.

Can you also please stop pushing changes to packages without
coordinating with either the Java SIG or the Stewardship SIG (in one
case, even by abusing provenpackager rights to push directly to a
PR-only package)?

Both beust-jcommander (*with tests*) and google-gson build fine with
xmvn-javadoc, yes, but both your commits wouldn't be necessary if
we're going ahead with switching to xmvn-javadoc by default, as I
suggested *2 weeks ago*:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/javapackages-tools/pull-request/3#comment-44930
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/java-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/UD7Q5DYAWI7YO4VW7UZPDWR644V7S462/

Fabio