Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: swap on zram

On Mon, 2020-06-08 at 22:54 +0000, Konstantin Kharlamov wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 10:00 AM Richard W.M. Jones
> > <rjones(a)redhat.com&gt; wrote:
> >
> > (ZRAM)
> > Compression is intrinsic to just the /dev/zram device. The swap
> > code
> > doesn't share pages between swap devices. The higher priority
> > device
> > is favored first until full. Once full, pages don't go through the
> > zram module, thus are not compressed, on their way to the
> > swap-on-disk.
> >
> > (ZSWAP)
> > So yeah, the swap-on-disk scenario might be better suited to a
> > generator that could use zswap instead, which uses an existing swap
> > partition and adds a write back cache (zpool) rather than a
> > separate
> > device. I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that cached page are
> > decompressed
> > on their way to the swap device. Also, the zpool memory cache is
> > preallocated, unlike zram devices.
> >
> > (I am not going to envy any who decide to implement zswap on a
> > system
> > with ZFS. Wait wait wait, which zpool are you talking about?!)
>
> So, I am testing ZRAM right now (as per your advice in another
> thread). All well
> so far, however reading this makes me think I gonna stumble upon a
> point where
> ZSRAM will be a better fit.
>
> You see, the idea of ZRAM and ZSWAP is improving low-memory
> situation. This is
> especially relevant for small amount of RAM, like your Raspberry
> example.
>
> In such situation if you, for example, open a lot of tabs in a
> browser, you may
> easily get to a point where even ZRAM is exhausted. Now, had you
> additionally a
> SWAP device, it would be no problem, the data would simply spill over
> to SWAP.
>
> Yes, SWAP is slow (well, it is on HDD at least). But consider this:
> in this
> workload , you most likely not gonna touch older of browser tabs for
> quite some
> time, so the slowness won't hurt you.
>
> My point is that we still need disk swap. And if we have disk swap,
> we'd want to
> move into SWAP the most unused memory pages. Which is how it works
> with
> ZSWAP. But not how it works with ZRAM (in which case, as you noted,
> once it's
> full, all new data would simply go past ZRAM into disk SWAP)
>
> ---------
>
> Now, I love the idea of using either ZRAM or ZSWAP. But to consider
> which one of
> them do we want, I think we would need to discuss first: do we really
> want to get
> rid of disk swap? Hibernation being discussed somewhere in this
> thread is another
> point. I personally don't like idea of removing disk swap.

I should've added: browsing the Internet and watching video/reading
social networks, and perhaps playing some browser games in their spare
time, is a common activity for many people. I.e. the workload mentioned
should be popular enough to take into consideration.