Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CompilerPolicy Change

Igor Raits <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, 2020-06-05 at 23:11 -0600, Jeff Law wrote:

>>> Ideally we'd have CI building (nearly) everything with *both* GCC
>>> and Clang, and finding and fixing problems in packages and in both
>>> compilers. But that's probably not realistic (yet?).
>>
>> You may remember me advocating for this in our meeting in Montreal :-
>> ) So, yea, I'd be totally on board with something like this.  I think
>> Tillman was also interested and even floated the idea of finding
>> additional Fedora builder resources to facilitate this kind of
>> scheme.
>>
>> The big problem then becomes getting packagers to address the
>> diagnostics.  I've been disappointed at how many packages are
>> ignoring diagnostics (particularly those with security implications)
>> and I'm actively looking at schemes to improve this situation :-)
>
> Just make them error by default and people will have to deal with it
> :)

(I know you weren't seriously proposing that we do this, but it's an
idea I've seen seriously proposed elsewhere and have experienced.)

Please do not do this for non-security diagnostics.  Supporting this
across a matrix of different compiler versions (and compilers) is truly
awful - especially managing semantics changes between versions, and
pragma stew, and behavior of compilers when asked to ignore flags they
don't understand...

Thanks,
--Robbie