Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CompilerPolicy Change

On Fri, 2020-06-05 at 16:47 -0500, Steven Munroe wrote:
> Jeff Law wrote:
> > I'd respectfully disagree. There are certain features that GCC supports that Clang does not
> > and vice-versa. But broadly they are comparable. What this means is some projects that are
> > using bleeding edge features may have a hard need for one toolchain or the other. And the
> > proposal I've made accounts for that by allowing the upstream project to select the compiler.
> > In your case it would be GCC. For others it could well be Clang/LLVM.
>
> I respectfully disagree with your definition of bleeding edge ...
Perhaps that was a bad choice of words.

> And while you allow that some packages have good reasons to stick with
> GCC. Several others on this list have demanded that clang/LLVM replace
> GCC as the default compiler.
That's not what is being proposed.  What's being proposed is far more narrowly
scoped.

> I respectfully restate my position that clang/LLVM is incomplete and
> not ready for that role.
The proposal under debate is to change Fedora policy so that compiler selection
comes from the upstream project.

For your project clearly GCC is a better choice.  Other projects Clang/LLVM is a
better choice.  Whether or not Clang/LLVM is ready to replace GCC as the default
compiler is not on the table and thus isn't terribly interesting (to me) to
debate.

So I would ask that we keep the discussion to the proposal at hand.

Jeff