Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: swap on zram

On Friday, June 5, 2020 10:49:52 AM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 4:35 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On 04.06.2020 22:30, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >
> > > Swap is useful, except when it's slow. zram is a RAM drive that uses
> > > compression. Create a swap-on-zram during start-up. And no longer use
> > > swap partitions by default.
> >

> > I'm strongly against this, because zram will replace disk swap and
> > disable hibernation, which is very useful on laptops.
>

> Already discussed in the 'support hibernation' thread.
>
> Most laptops today have UEFI Secure Boot enabled by default and
> therefore hibernation isn't possible. And even when the laptop doesn't
> have Secure Boot enabled, there's a forest of bugs. It works for some
> people and not others. It was working for me on one laptop in
> February, consistently doesn't work now and I haven't gotten a reply
> yet from upstream about the problem.

It may be true that most laptops have "Secure Boot" enabled, but not those
running Fedora. We don't have numbers to support that claim, and most devices
require "Secure Boot" to be disabled,  or to have the mode changed so that it
accepts new keys, to install Fedora.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.