Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CompilerPolicy Change

On Fri, 2020-06-05 at 14:57 +0000, devel-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 07:56:57 -0700
>
> From: Tom Stellard <tstellar@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Subject: Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CompilerPolicy
>
>         Change
>
> To: Development discussions related to Fedora
>
>         <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Igor Raits
>
>         <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On 06/05/2020 12:09 AM, Igor Raits wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 16:30 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/CompilerPolicy
> > > == Summary ==
> > > Fedora has historically forced packages to build with GCC unless the
> > > upstream project for the package only supported Clang/LLVM.  This
> > > change proposal replaces that policy with one where compiler
> > > selection
> > > for Fedora follows the package's upstream preferences.
> > Sadly some upstreams insist on clang just because they like it more,
> > without any technical reason. The question that comes to my mind:
> > Should we still try to convince upstreams to use GCC in such cases or
> > not?
> > Also does this mean that Clang is now fully supported compiler by full-
> > time working people @ Red Hat in toolchains team that are also
> > contributing to upstream? Just curious if we will be able to "fully
> > support" people when we find bugs in the compiler.
> > And also, does it mean that we will be following same pattern as with
> > GCC to test pre-release versions in rawhide, do the mass rebuild and so
> > on?
>

> We have been packaging -rc1 release candidates of major Clang/LLVM releases
> in rawhide and plan to continue doing this.  It's also possible we could
> package even early snapshots if this fits better with the Fedora release
> schedule, but this is not something we have done before.
FWIW, I expect to be poking at this problem from the GCC side in the fall.  The
way we currently handle GCC in the even numbered Fedora release is (IMHO) insane.
Carlos and his team have shown an ability to drop in snapshots of glibc
development sources weekly without introducing huge instability.  While I'm not
shooting for weekly drops of GCC bits into rawhide, I do think we should be
dropping in development snapshots to rawhide earlier and more often than we
currently do.

Jeff