Re: Proposal: Install gparted to Live installers

On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 17:12 +0100, Ian McInerney wrote:
On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 4:48 PM Felipe Borges <feborges@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 5:21 PM Ian McInerney <Ian.S.McInerney@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 4:01 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to install Fedora 32 to a MS Surface GO which has some sort of non-standard UEFI install. It refuses to boot anything but Windows from the ESP partition even though I can see it using efibootmgr.
>>
>> In troubleshooting this and working around it I'm using the F32 live installer, but I keep having to install gparted. The installer would be much more useful with it preinstalled.

We already ship Disks (gnome-disks) in the live image. Doesn't it
suffice for the type of task you need to perform?

There are a couple of advantages to gparted (that I haven't found analogous operations for in gnome-disks):

* gnome-disks doesn't give you as easy access to the range of volume types that gparted does (I don't see anyway to get FAT16, or the older EXT2/3 filesystems directly on the format partition dialog, instead you have to go through and make a partition, wait for that change to apply, then change the format afterwards). gparted lets you choose the format right away.

* gparted allows you to queue operations before performing them - so you can stage all your disk changes to ensure you can get the layout you intend and perform them all at once (so you don't accidentally change the disk while designing a partition layout)

* gparted gives the fine-grained control of partition information (such as flags)

* gparted allows copy/paste of partition information, so you can quickly do some repetitive partitioning tasks.

-Ian

I was sure that we already had this discussion [1] [2] [3] , I also use gparted for installations and seems to me that is a tool that should be in a live CD .

[1]

[2]

[3]

--