Re: Has something changed with RPMS?

On Wed, Jun 03, 2020 at 11:13:26AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 02. 06. 20 v 19:26 Richard W.M. Jones napsal(a):
> > On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 12:44:17PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >> * Panu Matilainen:

> >> And: Does the difference reproduce when building on tmpfs?
> > Good time to say that you can use an NBD loopback to mock-build either
> > on a userspace ramdisk or backed by a disk but discarding flush
> > requests.  The performance is indistinguishable from tmpfs (and much
> > more flexible in other ways).  I did some benchmarking a couple of
> > weeks ago:
> >
> >   https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2020-May/msg00053.html
> >   https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2020-May/msg00074.html
> >
> > Easy set up is:
> >
> >   # rm -f /tmp/sock
> >   # nbdkit -U /tmp/sock memory 100G
> >   # nbd-client -b 512 -unix /tmp/sock /dev/nbd0 -connections 4
> >   # mkfs.xfs /dev/nbd0
> >   # mount /dev/nbd0 /var/lib/mock
> >
> > or using http://libguestfs.org/nbdkit-tmpdisk-plugin.1.html:
> >
> >   # rm -f /tmp/sock
> >   # nbdkit -U /tmp/sock tmpdisk size=100G
> >   # nbd-client -b 512 -unix /tmp/sock /dev/nbd0 -connections 1
> >   # mount /dev/nbd0 /var/lib/mock
> >
> > or (requires bleeding edge nbdkit):
> >
> >   # rm -f /tmp/sock
> >   # lvcreate -L 100G -n tmp /dev/fedora
> >   # nbdkit -U /tmp/socket --filter=fua fuamode=discard file /dev/fedora/tmp
> >   # nbd-client -b 512 -unix /tmp/sock /dev/nbd0 -connections 4
> >   # mkfs.xfs /dev/nbd0
> >   # mount /dev/nbd0 /var/lib/mock
> >
> > Rich.
> >

> NBD kit is definitely interesting piece of technology, but I think there
> is missing quite a bit to be as easy as you say and there is definitely
> a lot of missing information, e.g. does the setup persist reboots? It
> would be probably more interesting, if it was mock plugin the same way
> tmpfs or lvm plugins are.

A very fair point - it won't be easy to use until it's a plugin.
Currently I'm looking at integrating nbdkit into kubenetes, so I don't
really have time to look at mock.

In answer to your specific question, does it survive over reboots?
Answer in two parts:

(1) Not if you just type those commands, but you can set up a systemd
unit: http://libguestfs.org/nbdkit-service.1.html

I haven't worked out the systemd voodoo to make an NBD filesystem
mount itself automatically at boot, although that is undoubtedly
possible using a mount unit.  Difficult bit will be setting up the
dependencies.

For the RISC-V Koji builders I'm using nbdkit, but it's "hacked" using
/etc/rc.local.

(2) Additionally the memory plugin
(http://libguestfs.org/nbdkit-memory-plugin.1.html) is a RAM disk, and
the tmpdisk plugin
(http://libguestfs.org/nbdkit-tmpdisk-plugin.1.html) is intentionally
designed to be like a "remote tmpfs".  So obviously neither will
survive a reboot.  That's fine for mock builds.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW