Re: Fwd: Re: late generation of assemble code

On Friday, May 29, 2020 5:15:45 PM MST Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2020, at 8:01 PM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
>

> > WebAssembly is just in web browsers. It's not for normal software you'd
> > install with your package manager. Unless I'm missing something?
>

> You are indeed missing
>
> https://webassembly.org/docs/non-web/
> https://wasi.dev/
>
> More random links, and I'm sure others have better ones:
>
> https://github.com/enarx/enarx/wiki/WebAssembly-(Wasm)
> https://deislabs.io/posts/introducing-krustlet/
> https://hacks.mozilla.org/2020/02/securing-firefox-with-webassembly/
> https://rustwasm.github.io/2018/10/24/multithreading-rust-and-wasm.html
> https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/08/webassembly-interface-types/

How does this compare to LLVM IR in terms of performance? What software do you
believe it would make sense to ship as WebAssembly? Would it actually be
beneficial compared to shipping software normally?

<rant>
With WebAssembly, it's getting to the point where I really just have to ask
"Why?" when this sort of thing comes up. It seems that we're just looking for
ways to overcomplicate things at this point, pulling in "Web" technologies for
things that are surprisingly simple. Web browser vendors continue to surprise
me with how overcomplicated these things are getting. I remember when web
browsers didn't need gigabytes of RAM to function properly, when they didn't
need to run in multiple processes.
</rant>

--
John M. Harris, Jr.