Re: Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal: Drop mod_php

On Friday, May 29, 2020 1:24:30 AM MST Igor Raits wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 01:00 -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:

> > > php-fpm is the default configuration for httpd and nginx for few
> > > versions
> > >
> > > nginx ONLY uses php-fpm
> > >
> > > mod_php is httpd only and prefork mode only
> > > so without threaded MPM and without http2 support
> > >
> > > Please describe issues, I don't have any bug report about this.
> > >
> > > Remi
> >
> > Yes, nginx only uses php-fpm. But that has nothing to do with
> > mod_php.
> >
> > The default doesn't matter, there's absolutely no reason to take away
> > the
> > sysadmin's choice here. There are at least 40 servers I personally
> > am
> > responsible for where I see no reason to move from mod_php to php-
> > fpm, for
> > example. If you don't want to maintain it, I'd be happy to do so.
> > Many third
> > party packages expect mod_php, and nearly all documentation for
> > configuring
> > httpd for Fedora, CentOS and RHEL goes through the use of mod_php.
> > There is
> > just no reason to break this. People who want php-fpm will stick with
> > it, and
> > others will continue to use mod_php as we have for the last decade+.
> > Many
> > servers do not need http2, or other new features. Many of us have
> > something
> > that works, and we'd like to keep it working.
>
> That's what CentOS / RHEL is for.

Are you saying that you believe Fedora is not suitable for long-term use? I
really don't know why that would be, other than yanking out packages while
they still work. However, this will have an affect on CentOS / RHEL as well,
if it's removed from Fedora, it'll likely be removed there upon the next
release. With that in mind, that's yet another reason this package should not
be removed from Fedora. It'll break configs of the hundreds/thousands of users
of Fedora's downstream projects, as well as a few hundred Fedora users.

This is a change that will seriously break a lot of peoples' config during
their next system-upgrade, absolutely needlessly. That it's not the default
already negates any perceived security issues.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity