Re: late generation of assemble code

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 12:07 PM Jan Kratochvil
<jan.kratochvil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 May 2020 05:21:05 +0200, Paul Dufresne via devel wrote:
> > The idea was to push code generation as near as possible of code execution.
> > Because at execution time, you know what are the specific features of the
> > CPU, and what is used to most often by the user of the program.
>
> In Free Software you have that already - it is called the source code.
> If you want host-specific optimizations use Gentoo Linux.

One could implement a DNF plugin that builds packages locally since we
have source RPM repositories.

> But that approach (incl. the possible LLVM JIT) has its own kind of
> disadvantages such as unreproducibility of compilation-specific problems
> elsewhere - no way to have meaningful build-ids, ABRT retrace server etc.

Another problem is updates of large packages. Last time I had to build
LibreOffice from scratch on my $DAYJOB laptop (years ago fortunately)
it took 12h to complete.

On the other hand that could also clear some legal issues for packages
unfit for Fedora, that would be fine as a source-only distribution.

Dridi