Re: Location of executable code

Steve Grubb wrote:
> But what I'm finding in practice is that cinnamon places its javascript
> there, there are libexec dirs that contain executable code, there are
> python and byte compiled python over there. In short, the system doesn't
> work because critical executables are in /usr/share.
>
> The question is what should be done about this? Do we care that things are
> in /usr/share that are not following the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard? If
> we do, what is the proper fix this this? Should bz be opened against each
> component?

/usr/share is the correct place for architecture-independent files,
including binaries and scripts. Though in principle, files that are
executable directly (+x bit set) should be in /usr/libexec (if they are to
be executed only by programs) or /usr/bin (if they should be executable
directly by the user) rather than /usr/share. But they may load additional
architecture-independent code (e.g., libraries, modules, plugins) from
/usr/share.

/usr/lib is actually the wrong place for architecture-independent (and thus
non-multilib) files, though unfortunately it is constantly getting abused
for them. (IMHO, any file under /usr/lib on a pure 64-bit system on a
multilib arch (such as x86_64) is a bug, but even systemd now abuses that
directory that way. IMHO, everything that does not need to be multilibbed
into /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 should be either in /usr/share or in
/usr/libexec instead.)

        Kevin Kofler