Re: Lots of systemctl segfaults in Koji Rawhide

> aha! This looks juicy. systemctl is linked against libpcap.so.1 , part
> of libpcap, which is in the list below, and this is the changelog for
> it:
>
> * Fri May 15 2020 Michal Ruprich <michalruprich@xxxxxxxxx> - 14:1.9.1-4
> - Enabling rdma support in libpcap
>
> the changelog date is May 15 but the pcap build actually ran on 2020-
> 05-18, and indeed the last successful Rawhide compose (20200517.n.1)
> had 1.9.1-3.fc33, and the first failed compose (20200518.n.0) has
> 1.9.1-4.fc33.
>
> I'm betting we have a circular dependency problem or something here...

Just to expand on this a bit, what I meant is, I bet adding a
libibverbs.so.0 dependency to libpcap gives dnf an irresolvable
dependency loop, because libibverbs depends on rdma-core and rdma-core
depends on quite a lot of other stuff, including libsystemd and
systemd. So now dnf is in a corner, because systemd needs libpcap which
(now) needs libibverbs which needs rdma-core which needs...systemd.

In fact it seems to be a bit more complex than that, because systemd
doesn't actually list its dependency on libpcap:

[adamw@adam libpcap (master)]$ rpm -q --requires systemd | grep pcap
[adamw@adam libpcap (master)]$

but it must be encoded indirectly somehow, because if you try and
remove libpcap, dnf refuses to because it'd remove systemd:

[adamw@adam libpcap (master)]$ sudo dnf remove libpcap
[sudo] password for adamw:
Error:
 Problem: The operation would result in removing the following
protected packages: systemd

anyhow, bottom line is, I think dnf winds up installing systemd and
then a bunch of other packages whose scriptlets call systemctl well
before libibverbs gets installed, and that's where all the failures
come from, as it tries to run systemctl (which is linked against
libpcap which is now linked against libibverbs) before libibverbs is
there.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey