Re: i3wm for EPEL8

Hi Eric,

first and foremost sorry about not replying to the Bugzilla bug earlier,
the past weeks were unfortunately a bit crazy.

Eric Mesa <ericsbinaryworld@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hey there,
>
> I noticed that the i3 window manager wasn't available in EPEL8. Before
> trying to go through the process of becoming a package maintainer I decided
> to try and run it via copr to see how much modification was needed. For
> EPEL8 (as opposed to 7) I was able to take the current spec file and, after
> creating an EPEL8 copr repo for xcb-util-xrm (
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/djotaku/xcb-util-xrm/), it would
> build. But it wouldn't install for it needed some perl packages. So I set
> about building those. You can see how far I got in (
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/djotaku/i3wm/packages/), but each
> one had one or more dependencies. So I was rapidly along a path towards
> having to recreate nearly all of Perl for EPEL8. (Only a slight
> exaggeration). Unfortunately, for those, I couldn't just bum the spec file
> because they each had a patch that needed to be applied. So I had to
> download the repo from pagure, use spectool and mock to create the srpm and
> then load that into copr. Quite tedious.
>
> However, the good news is that I never had to make any mods to the spec
> files to get them to work for EPEL8. Everything just worked. So...what is
> the proper path to get the perl folks to create epel8 branches in their
> repos (again, there isn't any additional work needed - at least at this
> point in time)? In the long run, I'd definitely like to be a co-maintainer
> for i3 for epel8.

I'll be pretty blunt here: I don't really care about having i3 in epel8,
so as long as you take care of the epel8 branch and any bugs that pop
up: I'm more than happy to add you as a co-maintainer.

Cheers,

Dan