Re: [fedora-java] Re: Re-Launching the Java SIG thread

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:13 AM Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, May 12, 2020 18:45:12 +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 6:17 PM Igor Raits
> > <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Count me in! I don't think I can help much, but at least can give some
> > > suggestions.

> > > Good luck, Fabio!
> >
> > Thanks! Every bit of help counts.
> > You should now be all set with FAS group / pagure project / mailing
> > list subscription.
>
> I've picked a suitable point to fork the thread back to a Java SIG
> related conversation (added "thread" at the end of the subject to help
> people differentiate).
>
> Fabio,
>
> Is there a TODO list somewhere so we new members can take up tasks from
> to help you out? This ticket perhaps? It's filed at the Stewardship
> SIG's pagure project, so I wasn't sure if the Java SIG folks are aware
> of it yet:
>
> https://pagure.io/stewardship-sig/issue/89

Good Morning!

We were planning to discuss this from the Stewardship SIG point of
view during today's meeting, and I didn't want to announce any plans
before that.

However, my suggestion would be to do the following things:

1. determine a core set of packages that's required for a functional
java → RPM toolchain

This will include ant, maven, some core maven plugins,
javapackages-tools, xmvn, and all the dependencies of those packages.

2. start moving those packages into the @java-maint-sig

I'd like to do some basic sanity checks when doing that, for example
checking upstream release history, unnecessary dependencies,
possiblitiies to drop unused functionality, etc. Most packages that
are required for building RPMs from Java projects (maven, maven
plugins, plexus-foo, apache-commons-bar, etc.) should already be in
pretty good shape and mostly up-to-date.

3. once that basic set of packages has been moved to the SIG, we can
start looking at which things share Java packages as dependencies
(e.g. glassfish-jaxb is required by both the DogTag PKI team and the
Neuro SIG), and move those to the Java SIG as well, if all parties
want to do that.

---

I'll try coming up with a roadmap for which packages to move first.
I'd like to do this right, so it won't be fast, but I hope we can
improve the Java stack in the process.

Fabio