Re: Speed up bash starting time (slow scripts in profile.d, /etc/bash_completion.d)

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 01:35:52PM +0200, Dan Čermák wrote:
> Hi Dominique,
>
> Dominique Martinet <asmadeus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > *snip*
> >
> > 341 to 130ms is a good start I guess, the rest of the waiting time
> > probably now outweights bash and will get some looking at at a later
> > point, but might as well start somewhere.
>
> That's quite the improvement! Good job and thanks for looking into that!
>

> > How should I go about with that? Open bz bugs to all the packages I
> > listed?
>
> I would suggest to directly create pull requests on pagure (with a
> reference to this thread), as that will make it more likely that this
> change will actually happen.

+1

> > strongly suggesting to get things to move to /usr/share (17) and
> > flatpak (suggest some kind of cache? not sure they'll be
> > interested...)  and environment-modules (not sure what to suggest
> > there, I only have environment-modules because I need to test
> > something with openmpi from time to time and it comes with it...)
> >

> > It might also make sense to have a packaging guideline suggesting to
> > avoid /etc/bash_completion.d in favor of the /usr/share variant, I
> > couldn't find anything here[1] but I might not have looked thoroughly
> > enough...
>
> Afaik we don't have an entry in the packaging guidelines about bash
> completion files. Maybe the packaging committee should look into that?

Please also consider submitting a PR for the packaging guidelines.
I think this is a change we generally agree on, and a PR should make
the whole process faster.

Also:
$ repoquery --whatprovides '/etc/bash_completion.d/*' --qf '%{name}'
Last metadata expiration check: 0:01:09 ago on Mon 18 May 2020 12:42:34 PM CEST.
RBTools
abrt-tui
authselect
bash-completion