Re: Is dist-git a good place for work?

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 1:33 PM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Neal Gompa:
>
> > In the merged-source world, the packaging is an aspect of managing the
> > software codebase. This is common in Debian and ALT Linux, where the
> > standard practice with their tooling is to fork the codebase and
> > integrate the packaging files into the tree. Changes then are managed
> > as part of evolving the sources, and packaging is mainly touched when
> > preparing to push to build. And for $DAYJOB, I've implemented this
> > model for software that $DAYJOB makes (we use the split-source model
> > for stuff we didn't write).
>
> This is not an accurate representation of what Debian does.  The
> guidelines and tools very much encourage broken-out patches.  The
> representation is slightly different (via the “debian” subdirectory in a
> source tree), but this does not mean that you can just change files
> outside the “debian” directory (i.e., upstream sources), build the
> Debian SRPM equivalent, and have it built.

Debian *does* have this merged-source model. There are two variants of
this model:
* merged source with patch trees (debian 2.0/3.0 formats)
* merged source with no patch trees (debian 1.0 format)

There is no singular SRPM equivalent, this differs across variants:
* singular source tarball (debian 1.0 format)
* source tarball + compressed super-patch (debian 2.0 format)
* source tarball + debian folder tarball (debian 3.0 format)

The 3.0 source format is the closest to our model.