Re: F33 system wide change, java-11-openjdk as system jdk

Hi, thanks for your assistance, comments inline:

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 10:48, Jiri Vanek <jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Generally, no program can say, that do not support jdk11, because any javac/java application can be
> *hacked* to work with java11 - see
> https://jvanek.fedorapeople.org/devconf/2017/portingjavaInternalToJdk9/portingOfItwToJdk9-II.pdf
> (really all except package split over modules, which is impossible)
>
> Now above mentione approaches are indeed *hacked*, and I discourage everybody to do so.

As you mentioned below, I depend on GWT, and it's waaay to complex to
take this approach.

> If you package is really bound to jdk8, you can move to the version-full requires:
> BuildRequires: java-1.8.0-openjdk-devel (or java-devel <= 1:1.8.0 or similar)
> Requires: java-1.8.0-openjdk(-headless) (or java(-headless) <= 1:1.8.0 or similar)
>
> However there is an trap - packages you depends on.  Once some of your dependencies will be compiled
> with --target > 8, you are doomed, and you have to bundle it or create its compact version. By doing
> so you can easily end in dependency hell.

RStudio only uses Java to compile a series of web components during
build time. Then, the requires are clean from Java components, and its
usage doesn't invoke the JVM. So it's been identified as a Java app
because build-requires java-devel, but it's not really a Java app.

> With GWT, I'm afraid you will need to try this  approach, as it is to complex framework  that any
> hacking on this field is really risky. And I'm sorry to hear they are not on jdk11 already, as this
> fate can likely met many other packages.

They build against a very specific version of GWT, and that's why it's
bundled. Future versions will update GWT and we will probably be able
to use Java 11. Let's see.

> Looking to spec of rstudio, and considering it have nearly no not-bundled dependence, and its
> upstream being stuck on jdk8,  requiring jdk8 looks like correct step for a while. If yo have any
> influence in upstream, please be force GWT to move to jdk11.
> Be aware, that you may end in needing to adapt also launcher, as japackage-tools will be enforcing
> java-11-openjdk. You can easily do it by exporting JAVA_HOME with /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk value
>
> Good luck,
>  Please let me know once you success with it. I willa dd an chapter to
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Java11#common_issues_packagers_can_face_and_gathered_solutions

Thanks, but as I said above, the RStudio rpms don't pull the JVM,
because it's not required at runtime. So I suppose that, beyond fixing
the java-devel version in BuildRequires, I don't need to do anything
more, right?

--
Iñaki Úcar