Re: python2-dns without DNSSEC support in rawhide

On 4/29/20 10:31 AM, Paul Howarth wrote:
Hi Lumir,

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 07:35:43 +0200
Lumir Balhar <lbalhar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello.

I'd like to switch python-dns crypto backend from pycryptodomex and
ecdsa to python-cryptography. Upstream already did the same in master
branch: https://github.com/rthalley/dnspython/pull/449

But, because python2-cryptography is not available in Fedora anymore,
this change will disable DNSSEC functionality in python2-dns. There
are only two packages depending on python2-dns: mailman and
trac-spamfilter-plugin. I did a check and rebuild of both of them and
it seems that they both work with the new version and there is no
usage of DNSSEC in their codebases. COPR:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/lbalhar/dns/

PR: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-dns/pull-request/5

If you think we should not merge the PR, let us know rather sooner
than later.
No objections from me (trac-spamfilter-plugin maintainer); it uses
python-dns for IP blacklist lookups and I wouldn't be surprised if
mailman did the same.
Great!
On the other hand, maybe the crypto backend could be changed for Python
3 and not for the Python 2 version? I would hope that the Python 2
version wouldn't need to be maintained for too much longer anyway.
That would mean either ship two different codebases from one SRPM (python-dns) or create a new SRPM just for python2-dns and use old codebase there. The first one is (in my opinion) a bad idea and would make the spec file ugly. Second solution is kinda lot of work for nothing. So I hope nobody will be affected by missing DNSSEC in python2-dns :)

Paul.