Re: Feedback on default partitioning and encryption

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 1:18 pm, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is the dilemma. It necessarily needs a single schema, there is
only one default. Customizations aren't going away.

We're not trying to come up with something that works perfectly for everyone. We're just trying to come up with a default that works reasonably well for most users. That means:

* Only one password prompt
* Password prompt must support ibus and normal expected range of languages (i.e. not be done in plymouth), because not all the world uses Latin alphabets
* Optimize for single-user systems, but don't break multi-user either

Regarding the use cases: "shared workstation vs personal desktop vs personal laptop vs corporate laptop," we support all of the above. We want to optimize for personal desktop, personal laptop, and corporate laptop, not for shared workstation. We still need shared workstation and multiuser laptop to *work*, though, but it's OK if it's not quite as secure.

That said, the installer cannot know whether additional user accounts will be created in the future, so the installer does not know which use-case it's installing for. ;)