Re: Previous awesome background images

Hi,

On 4/17/20 4:43 PM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 17. 04. 20 16:07, Kamil Paral wrote:
I'm disappointed with default wallpapers in the latest releases. I wonder if we could go back to more artistic images from previous releases? Here are some of my favorite ones:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers#Fedora_29
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers#Fedora_27
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers#Fedora_21
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers#Fedora_16
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers#Fedora_15
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers#Fedora_11
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers#Fedora_7

Especially the one in Fedora 15 (GNOME edition) and 16 was outstanding. Can we do more of those, please?

I love both the design and concept of the F25-F28 wallpapers.

"As of the past 3 releases, we choose a sequential letter of the alphabet and come up with a list of scientists / mathematicians / technologists to serve as an inspiration for the desktop background’s visual concept"

https://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2018/03/06/fedora-28s-desktop-background-design/

I am sad we haven't followed the pattern. (However I don't know the reasoning for stopping that.)

(I've changed the subject line, because I don't want to participate in what was in there.)

(agree)

IMHO, A desktop background serves a different purpose than a login/lock screen. A desktop background shouldn't be distracting, high contrast, or busy. Making beautiful art with those restrictions is quite difficult. The fedora backgrounds tend to grow on me over time, but I also tend to immediately just set my desktop background to straight black, with a dark theme (breeze dark variation) and reserve the fedora art for the screen lock.

The login/lock screen, should be looking for maximum impact. Its after all what people see as they walk by a fedora machine. In that regard something like the F7 image really wins.

So maybe this is a case of trying to answer to conflicting requirements. Maximum art, high contrast login screen, more soothing muted desktop backgrounds.

Anyway, i'm going to spread some love to another distro in this thread too. The Opensuse 12.3 theme/background was one of the few times I've left the default background on for any length of time. They seemed to have pulled off just the right amount of mostly non distracting background, yet somehow managed to still achieve that minimalist beauty everyone seems to be in search of these days. Its all gray tones, with a single green vine/logo. It fit with the theme in a way that made me think, now this is what a linux desktop should look and behave like.

https://news-cdn.softpedia.com/images/news2/openSUSE-12-3-Is-Approaching-End-of-Life-Fast-466700-2.jpg