Re: What CPU extensions can we assume are available by arch?

Jun Aruga <jaruga@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > For the better user experience, we are promoting the system library
>> > for both RPM and Debian based Linux distributions.
>>
>> What system library, for what purpose?
>
> Hi Dave,
> The simde system library is
>
> * simde-devel in Fedora and EPEL [1]
> * libsimde-dev in Debian [2]

They're packages for a header-only system, not libraries, hence my
confusion.

Who's pushing this, and how do I present an HPC performance engineering
perspective?

> The purpose is to build and ship SIMD implemented software RPM such as
> bowite2 [3] and minimap2 [4] on non-x86_64 CPU architecture such as
> aarch64, ppc64le and s390x.

Well, what I've already said from some experience and research.  Where's
the POWER and S390 support?  All I saw is x86 and arm.  We've heard
there's ppc64le compatibility support anyhow, which is rising up my list
to investigate for work.  Who's going to do bioinformatics on Blue
Boxes?  Bioinf causes enough trouble on x86...

There's been an issue for bowtie2 for years, and I've long had it in
copr, though it probably needs updating there.  Has someone done the
unresponsive maintainer thing for Adam Huffman (who is, or was, back
more in that area)?