Re: Fedpkg: (scratch)-build forked repo directly in Koji

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 at 01:54, clime <clime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 at 01:33, Ondrej Nosek <onosek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for answers, comment in the text follows.

> >> If I understand correctly, this would have to be done, if sources
> >> changed only, right? I.e. if there is a change just in patch or a spec
> >> file, the sources could be fetched from the main project.
> >

> > Yes, just sources (and eventually other binary files) are uploaded to lookaside cache. In the case of specfile and patches, there is no lookaside modification. Fork shares the same lookaside cache with the main project.
>
> Cool!
>

> >> Should there be a possibility to upload sources for a fork that would
> >> then be moved to the main project when the pull request is merged?
> >

> > That sounds complicated to me and maybe it is not worth the intended result. Or I didn't find the right (easier) approach. ... New sources (and binaries) in fork need to be saved somewhere.
> >  - In a parallel lookaside (for forks)
>
> Yes, this is what I was thinking about.
>
> >  - In git repo (omitting lookaside)
> > During the merge, some trigger would move the sources to the main lookaside. This creates a new file hash(es).
>
> I don't think it creates new file hashes. I mean checksums of the
> files should stay the same as the content stays the same, no? Maybe I
> am omitting something.
>
> > And it would result in another commit done by a trigger. I think it is an unwanted situation.
>
> I think an additional commit should not be needed due to above.
>
> > Some pollution of lookaside seems inevitable. But it happens even now without possibility to take uploaded file back.
>
> Yes, that's true.
>
> ---
>
> I think the solution with fork-specific sources is mainly problematic.

(somehow I managed to send the previous email prematurely)

...problematic (or might be problematic) because the forks can be
created for other purposes than to create pull requests and then they
can be also abandoned. So any sources that were uploaded for them
would be there stuck probably forever. Maybe this is not that huge
issue but something that should be considered.