Re: f32-backgrounds look like crap

On Fri, 2020-04-17 at 15:13 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:

> Of the two, I loved FC6 more, because I thought the way the Fedora
> logo was used throughout the artwork was really well-done. And it
> conveyed what I felt Fedora was about very well: Fedorans are the
> community, and the community is part of our DNA. Later Fedora releases
> did a good job providing a coherent theme based on codenames.
>
> For the past few years, we've lost a lot of visual differentiation as
> we've scaled back or killed off aspects of our unique per-release or
> project identity embodied in the distribution. There were even a
> couple of times where we went with what I felt to be uselessly bland
> artwork that I thought made Fedora look like a non-entity.
>
> The last few releases have had some interesting wallpapers, but we
> never quite got the same visual appeal that we had before.
>
> And to Michael's point about Ubuntu's branding, they have a set of
> design principles that they use to simultaneously present "Ubuntu" and
> the Ubuntu "release" by leveraging their codename scheme and imbuing
> it in the artwork in creative ways. That's not a thing we do in Fedora
> anymore... :(

None of this is free, it needs people to show up and do the work. Just
as with coding or package management, there is very little value in
saying "boy, I sure wish someone else would do all this cool stuff I've
thought of". If you want it to happen, get together with like-minded
folks and do it...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey