Re: Why does Koschei not run real builds?

Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 4/15/20 5:52 PM, Dan Čermák wrote:
>> That is pretty useful, because as a maintainer you can just update a
>> library and you don't have to do a thing to get dependent packages
>> rebuilt. So no more "unannounced SONAME bump", "please rebuild XYZ" and
>> "need a provenpackager to rebuild dependent packages of ABC" emails on
>> devel. Also, if a package fails to build due to an update, it will be
>> noticed right away and not until the next mass rebuild.
>
> Is it smart enough to only rebuild for SONAME bumps or ABI changes?

No, it rebuilds once a dependency actually changes (if it is rebuild and
the resulting RPM is unchanged, then no rebuild is kicked of though).

> I wouldn't want rebuilds "just because."

Well, you kinda do want them (in Rawhide) because ABI changes & SONAME
bumps are not applicable for all programming languages and then people &
tools make mistakes. So a "safe" update without a SONAME bump might be
one that actually required one and would be undetected unless you
rebuild & retest dependent packages.