Re: Why does Koschei not run real builds?

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 at 00:52, Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> clime <clime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 10:55, Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> my question is pretty much $subject: Why doesn't Koschei kick of
> >> real builds off packages on dependency changes? From my naive POV that
> >> looks like the missing piece to give us the "OBS-experience". Having
> >> that at least in Rawhide sounds like a good thing to me.
> >
> > Dan, can I have some basic questions to this because I don't know OBS.
> >
> > Could you describe the feature in more detail with regards to
> > auto-rebuilding and when it is useful?
>
> In a nutshell: OBS will in its default mode rebuild each package once
> one of its direct or indirect dependencies changes.
>
> That is pretty useful, because as a maintainer you can just update a
> library and you don't have to do a thing to get dependent packages
> rebuilt. So no more "unannounced SONAME bump", "please rebuild XYZ" and
> "need a provenpackager to rebuild dependent packages of ABC" emails on
> devel. Also, if a package fails to build due to an update, it will be
> noticed right away and not until the next mass rebuild.
>
> Additionally updating a bunch of packages will no longer require that
> you figure out the build order yourself: the build system figures it out
> itself by rebuilding your packages until the transitive dependencies
> stop changing.
>
> All of this is of course only really viable for Rawhide and already
> released Fedora branches should not be run like this, because one wrong
> update could wreck the whole distro.

Thanks, that was a nice explanation. I personally believe there is a
good solution in extending koji and rpm.

koji to be able to rebuild the same source package again and again
while passing a different increasing number to rpmbuild through
--define and rpm to put that number into rpm name if it was specified
to the following position:

python3-colcon-ros-bundle-0.0.14-1.fc31.<buildid>.noarch.rpm

It can be just a short build id specific for the given package (i.e.
how many builds there were for the given package). There might be a
little bit of trouble to keep <buildid> meaningfully increasing in
case of multiple parallel builds but I think it should be possible.

An advantage over the rpmautospec approach is that this will just work
for all the packages out of the box, i.e. no matter what macros they
are using.