Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

* Lennart Poettering:

> On Mi, 15.04.20 09:36, Florian Weimer (fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> * Michael Catanzaro:

>> > OK, I've just added it at the end of this part here:
>> >
>> > "systemd-libs currently has
>> > [https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/systemd/blob/bb79fb73875f8e71841a1ee8ede5d234b7878753/f/systemd.spec#_606
>> > a %post scriplet] to enable nss-myhostname and nss-systemd by either
>> > (a) modifying authselect's user-nsswitch.conf template, if authselect
>> > is in use, or (b) directly modifying /etc/nsswitch.conf otherwise. We
>> > will work with the systemd maintainers to enable nss-resolve here as
>> > well by adding `resolve [!UNAVAIL=return]` to the hosts line."
>>
>> At which position?  After files?
>
> The suggested line in nsswitch.conf is:
>
>     hosts: files mymachines resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns myhostname
>
> See https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/nss-resolve.html
>
> So currently we leave "files" the way it is, taking precendence.
>
> That said, resolved has a bus API for resolving hosts too, which gives
> a bit richer an API to do things, instead of using
> gethostbyname(). resolved parses and caches /etc/hosts for that
> natively, so that we can server the same set of names when going via
> the bus API or via NSS.
>
>> Does systemd-resolved cache /etc/hosts?
>
> Yes.

Then I don't understand why we are listing files first, before resolve.

If we can handle /etc/hosts through nss_resolve, with caching, we make
progress towards replacing nscd.  /etc/hosts is one of the things not
handled by ssssd, so one of the remaining gaps would be covered.

Thanks,
Florian