Re: Why does Koschei not run real builds?

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 19:23, clime <clime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 14:48, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 5:15 AM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > It *might* be a good idea to help deal with rebuilds, but I see some
> > > problems with that.
> > >
> > > - koschei would need to add "rebuilt by koschei" commits to dist-git
> > > for this (OBS doesn't have a real VCS, so it's not a problem there)
> > > - those changes would add a lot of churn to .spec files, possibly
> > > angering a lot of packagers, and would also create possible conflicts
> > > between local changes and koschei builds
> > > - the builds add a lot of load to koji already (although at lower
> > > priority), which will probably be a problem when there's reduced
> > > capacity (e.g. the upcoming datacenter move)
> > >

> > I think the fundamental premise here is that rebuilds this way
> > requires commits into Dist-Git.
>
> Assuming we have tooling for it, commits is not the only option. The
> other option might be tags. You don't create a new (potentially empty)
> commit, but instead, you create a new tag from koschei environment and
> if you succeed, you build that tag. That tag can also automatically
> populate changelog with the reason for rebuild.
>
> But then I think it would be good to have some name separation of the
> user tags vs. the koschei tags and technical details of this need to
> be figured out, i.e. it would require more discussion and
> brainstorming to determine if the separation is technically possible
> and how to do it.
>
> Both, the commit and the tag approach try to maintain dist-git as the
> single source of truth [1] to provide basic package information such
> as name-version-release, which is beneficial for local build
> reproducibility, it makes the result easier to calculate and predict,
> and it also makes services less intertwined.
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_source_of_truth

Also, I actually like the option that you proposed here:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/ERTHZICHK56MGWLLEJ2GHR6S5UEHQCOC/

with adding/using an additional rpm property to determine uniqueness
in koji and to extend the rpm comparison algo to take that property
into account. So that property would be handled purely by build system
whereas NVR would be handled by git. I admit I am not a big fan of
services doing changes in user's git repos.