Re: Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal: Network Time Security

On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 02:09:01PM -0500, Brandon Nielsen wrote:
> On 4/8/20 3:42 AM, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > What is the issue with using untrusted DNS servers here? An NTS client
> > is supposed to verify the certificates. Local MITM attackers shouldn't
> > be able to force the client to synchronize to a different NTP server.
> > (Of course, they can always disable the synchronization.)
> >

> I'm not saying there is necessarily an issue, just a logical inconsistency.
> If the DNS servers provided by DHCP are trusted, why would any plain NTP
> servers also provided by DHCP not be trusted? I can do nefarious things with
> either.

I think it depends on the network. Is it yours or is it a random hotspot?

In general neither should be trusted, but most applications don't rely
on DNS being secure, so using random untrusted DNS servers from DHCP
is usually not a major issue. I'm ignoring privacy issues.

> Generally speaking, on a network I admin, if I've configured DHCP to provide
> things like NTP and DNS servers, it's because I intend client devices to use
> those things. While some devices choose to ignore DHCP provided DNS (and
> NTP), I can still reroute those requests at the edge router. Is that also
> possible with NTS? Even if it gets rerouted to a plain NTP server?

No, an NTS-enabled client cannot be redirected to a different server
(using a different certificate or NTS keys). That would be a security
issue. It's similar to DNS over HTTPS.

> I feel like if this is on by default we're basically saying nobody trusts
> any provided NTP server unless it supports NTS. If that's the case, do away
> with the 'trusted network' verbiage and just say that only NTS servers
> provided over DHCP will be used.

The NTP option in DHCP doesn't provide the client with a name of the
server (at least in IPv4), so it couldn't try NTS even if it wanted.

> Additionally, what about the no-internet case? Will a local, non-NTS NTP
> server be acceptable in that case? I feel like that would be handled by the
> change to PEERNTP you mention above. But then can't attackers "disable the
> synchronization" as you mention above, essentially forcing us back to no
> additional security?

I think the installer could verify that NTS works (which implies
working Internet connection) and if not, it would leave PEERNTP
enabled.

> > It would still work, even if we didn't use it by default. The name is
> > just an alias for pool.ntp.org. The servers used in the current
> > default configuration are not run by Fedora.
> >

> Does the alias provide no additional functionality? Does it help with an
> estimate of running Fedora machines in the wild?

The alias is a "vendor" zone to give the pool admins some control in
case our NTP clients create too much traffic and need to be stopped.
I think the admins have some statistics on DNS traffic in specific
zones, but I'm not privy to the data.

> Will there be some kind of 'canary domain' like there is for DoH
> (use-application-dns.net)?

I don't think I saw any suggestions for implementing that.

> Again from a network admin standpoint, if I
> provide a local NTP server without NTS, I want an easy way to tell the
> devices I manage to use it.

The PEERNTP option will still work. It may just have a different
default and/or have a new setting.

--
Miroslav Lichvar