Re: Updating MUMPS/Sundials/PETSc

On 4/7/20 12:51 PM, Antonio Trande wrote:
On 06/04/20 16:19, David Schwörer wrote:
On 4/5/20 6:06 PM, Antonio Trande wrote:
On 04/04/20 19:23, David S wrote:
On 4/4/20 4:38 PM, Antonio Trande wrote:
Hi all.

`MUMPS-5.3.0` [1] `PETSc-3.13.0` [2] and `Sundials-5.2.0` [3] are coming
on Rawhide; these updates will need rebuilds of dependent packages:

[:snip:]

Thanks a lot for updating PETSc, I know PETSc is quite challenging to
package.

I tried to build BOUT++ against PETSc, using pkg-config.
the pkg-config files are installed to petsc/ subdirectory, but it seems
the pc files are not adjusted for this.

Further, I have been using petsc --with superludist without issues, can
you tell why this was disabled, so I can test whether this was fixed in
the mean time?

`superludist` support is reactivated; please, test petsc-3.13.0 again:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sagitter/ForTesting/build/1328023/

In the PETSc.pc files, the $MPI_INCLUDE are not expanded, which also
doesn't happen at evaluation time:
pkg-config PETSc --cflags
-I$MPI_INCLUDE/petsc

which isn't further evaluated. I guess replacing the ' with " in the
spec should ensure it gets evaluated.

PETSc is injecting -L/usr/lib which will cause linking issues if there
is e.g. a libhdf5.so in /usr/lib because the MPI lib is needed.

Besides these two issues, everything seems to be fine.

Last build on Copr should fix these issues. Please, test it again:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sagitter/ForTesting/build/1329534/

Thanks, this works now for me.
Minor issue is the -L/usr/lib64/mpich/lib that might override a user choice. It isn't needed, as the mpi wrapper sets appropriate flags, but it doesn't cause any issues for me.

I found an issue, where linking against petsc (mpi version) and hdf5 (serial version), this causes an error with unresolved dependencies for libpetsc.so
This is caused by petsc linking against the mpi hdf5, but I only had
hdf5-devel installed. Thus the linker selected the serial version.
Thus I needed to install the hdf5-{mpich,openmpi}-devel package if linking against petsc(mpi) and hdf5. This was confusing for me, and there might be other libraries affected by this.
Maybe a
Requires: (hdf5-mpich-devel if hdf5-devel)
for the petsc-mpich-devel could help - but I am not sure about this one.
I am neither sure that this is sufficient, nor whether this is the right place to do this.

Thanks for getting this all fixed,
David